If you want to maintain the health of your eyes well into old age, it’s important to be aware of the top 5 causes of blindness, so as to avoid them. Knowing what causes blindness and how to identify the symptoms assists with early detection and prevention.
Top 5 causes of blindness
- Cataracts are the most common cause of blindness worldwide, and occur because of the clouding of the natural lens of the eye. This is often due to the effects of aging, or to medical conditions such as diabetes and thyroid disease, or steroid use.
- Age-related macular degeneration(AMD) is another cause of blindness, particularly in adults 50 years of age and older. AMD occurs because of damage to the macula, which is a part of the retina. It is characterized by loss of central vision, and the inability to see fine details.
- Glaucoma is also a common eye disease that can lead to blindness. Glaucoma occurs because of the build-up of pressure in the eyes, which damages the optic nerve.
- Corneal Opacity is the result of the scarring of the cornea, and is often a consequence of eye infections.
- Diabetic Retinopathy results from damage to the blood vessels in the eye. Diabetes can cause the tiny blood vessels that nourish the eye to weaken,resulting in the growth of new vessels on the surface of the retina.
These eye disorders can cause permanent damage to the eyes if left untreated. Scheduling regular visits to the ophthalmologist is the best way to identify them early, and get effective treatment (learn more).
Do you need a comprehensive eye examination done? Search our directory to find a practice in your area.
If you are in the Washington DC metro area, New View Eye Center, Reston, VA is our featured practice.
You can reach them at www.newviewlasereye.com, or by calling 703-834 9777.